The Lebanese Association for Energy Saving and for Environment , ALMEE, is and was involved in many activities, programs, studies and projects with:
- DG XVII (EC) synergy program framework: energy and environment in the city.
- UNIDO TSS1 project relative to monitoring of atmospheric pollution in Lebanon.
- UNDP & UNEP projects umbrella of GEF and the application of Montreal protocol in Lebanon related to the CFC issue.
- ADEME (France) with whom ALMEE has signed an agreement of co-operation in the energy and environment fields: DSM project in Zouk / Byblos (Jbeil), educational project « Liban precieux - planete precieuse », energy efficiency in transport, etc........
- METAP program of the World Bank related to the environmental issues in Lebanon: air, water and waste.
- European bureau of environment (EBE-Brussels), WWF (Barcelona), cedar (Cairo), ENDA (Tunisia), WEAA (Washington DC), CME (London) and energy-city (besancon).
- MIO-ECSDE (Athens) www.mio-ecsde.org
- UNESCO (Paris) in the framework of the world solar summit program (WSSP) for developing the domestic hot water solar system in Lebanon.
- Agence Internationale de l’Energie (AIE- Paris) for preparing the energy balances in Lebanon.
- APUR (Paris) for establishing the environment Atlas of Beirut.
- FFEM (Paris).
- CRES (Athens) for establishing the energy GIS in the Mediterranean countries.
- WEEA (Washington) for the creation of ESCOs network.
- IEPF (Québec) in the PRISME framework (programme international de soutien a la maitrise de l’energie).
- UITF member (union des ingenieurs et des techniciens utilisant la langue Francaise).
- MEDENER founder member (Mediterranean association of the national agencies for energy conservation). Web address: www.cres.gr/medener
- IMEDER founder member (Institut Mediterraneen des Energies Renouvelables- Perpignan, France) created in 1991 and working in 44 Euro-Mediterranean countries)www.imeder.perpignan.cci.fr
- Climate change enabling activity project in Lebanon: member of the national coordinating committee and team. Prepared the mitigation energy part of the project.
- PRISME member (programme international de soutien a la maitrise de l'énergie).
- l'impact de la pollution de la “centrale électrique de Zouk » with ADAEME France.
- Energy Auditing with the Municipalities in collaboration with IEPF
- Member of the co-coordinating committee for the “climate change enabling activity project” in Lebanon.
- Member of the mitigation technical team for the “climate change enabling activity project” in Lebanon.
- Member of the "Lebanese Environmental Development observatory LEDO" in order to set up indicators for Lebanon on energy and climate change.
- Prepared and edited so far 25 bulletins as well as many brochures on the ozone depleting issues, energy saving, renewable energy, energy auditing, state of the energy in Lebanon and others. ALMEE issues also 2 newsletters per year.
On-going and executed projects:
The “Lebanese Youth as Messengers for Sustainability” project fosters a culture of sustainability among the Lebanese children and young, their families and the local communities, in order to enhance a sustainable development in the country and sustainable relationships in the Mediterranean region.
The Project deals with four different dimensions of sustainable development, in a wider framework of promoting the empowerment of citizens contributing as such to socio-economic development and better living conditions. They are: i) the important role of the education ii) the values of citizenship and civic engagement to be enhanced among people, iii) the cultural and ethical dimensions of sustainable development, iv) the local and global dimension of sustainable development.http://www.medies.net/staticpages.asp?aID=893&overRideCategory=1
The project is led by the Makhzoumi Foundation and consortium partners include also OMSAR, CERD, ALMEE, MIO-ECSDE (through MEdIES), and ARMADILLA.
- EU project MED-ALGAE: Production of biodiesel from Algae in selected Mediterranean Countries. In the framework of the ENPI-CBCMED program, MED-ALGAE the project aims at enhancing regional and cross border collaboration for the development of a new generation of biofuels from microalgae. A growing concern of today’s society is finding an alternative fuel to replace petroleum products and to reduce greenhouse gas emissions. One of the main problems with biodiesel is being able to generate enough feedstock to produce it. A solution to this could be to cultivate microalgae. Microalgae have a higher yield of oil production than crops . This project aims to produce biofuels (biodiesel) (a renewable fuel) through cultivation of microalgae. This is a new technology project and can contribute to the requirements of a long term strategy according to the recently adopted by the European Commission “Climate Change and Energy Package” http://www.med-algae.com
- EU project CLEANERTEC: “Toward clean Energy technologies and innovative environmental solutions in Lebanon”. COSV is a voluntary organization operating in Lebanon since 2006 mainly in the sector of solid Waste Management. Through the funds of the EUROPEAN UNION, and thanks to a close collaboration with OMSAR and Baalbek Municipality, COSV, and in collaboration with ALMEE as a partner, aims to enhance the use of green and renewable energies in Lebanon, through the implementation of pilot and demonstrative projects, developing policies, legislative and regulatory frameworks, building the capacities of key actors at the public administrative level and raising awareness of the local population. The overall objective of the current action titled is to promote clean, environmental friendly energy technologies, and facilitate cooperation on technology aspects, disseminating to the relevant stakeholders in Lebanon. for more info, go to http://www.cosv.org projects/environment.
- EU project RCREEE: The project is part of RCREEE’s overall effort of providing member state administrations with better information and new planning tools and processes. It supports RECREEE in the development of a website which offers access to a complete subject-ordered list of member state RE&EE laws and regulations, reviewed policy documents, selected background and evaluation reports deemed to represent state-of-the art high quality analytical work as well as discussion blogs on topics deemed to be of general interest for RCREEE governments. http://www.rcreee.org gives general information on RCREEE and its activities.
- EU FP7 project RESSOL: The project’s objective is the engagement of the beneficiaries from the MPCs (ALMEE and NERC) in high quality research and, thus impacting on the national energy efficiency and renewable policies as well as contributing to the development of well established partnerships, scientific relationships and networking with the research institutes, groups and consortia within EU countries. http://www.ressol-medbuild.eu
- EU (INCO) project: REACT: Self-Sufficient Renewable Energy Air-Conditioning Systems for MPC. Web address: www.crear.unifi.it/react
- EU (INCO) project: DISTRES: Promotion and Consolidation of all RTD Activities for Renewable Distributed Generation Technologies in the Mediterranean Region. The overall goal of the DISTRES co-ordination action project is to exchange and disseminate good practice developed in the field of renewable energy sources distributed generation (RES-DG) technologies by isolated research activities and perform studies and/or analyses for the Mediterranean needs. DISTRES is a three year co-ordination action project. Since solar potential is an abundant commodity in the Mediterranean region the area of interest of DISTRES will be primarily on the electricity produced from solar energy (photovoltaic and/or solar thermal concentrating systems) from DG systems.
- EU (INCO) project: RAMSES Renewable Energy Agricultural Multipurpose System for Farmers. The project aims at bypassing all the problems related to the progressively increasing prices of fuels derived from fossil resources. This increase in prices is especially damaging for agriculture. Modern agriculture is heavily dependent on fossil fuels for agricultural vehicles, machines, processors, etc. Farmers everywhere in the world have been badly hit by the increase in fuel prices, especially since agricultural fuels are often not taxed, or only lightly taxed, so that the burden of every increase in prices in the world market hits directly farm’s finances. This project is aimed to giving rural communities on the Southern bank of the Mediterranean area a new tool to assist them in their agricultural work: an integrated solar power system which includes battery storage, usable as to power an all purpose vehicle.
- EU (INCO) project: HYPA Euro-Mediterranean renewable energy partnership. Web address: www.hy-pa.org
- EU (INCO) project: SOLATERM Promotion of a New Generation of Solar
Thermal Systems in the MPC. Web address: http://ioffice.gtz.de/solaterm
- EU (INCO) project: SOLAR BUILD Integration of Solar Technologies into
Buildings in Mediterranean Communities. SOLAR-BUILD will contribute
significantly to uptake of solar technologies to meet cooling, electricity & heat needs
in buildings in Mediterranean communities, via new links & information exchange
between relevant professional fields & via transfer & adaptation of experience from
EU to Mediterranean countries. Partners are leading networks of sustainable energy
professionals & architects within the region. Partners will engage with extensive
market actors & stakeholders including: architects, building engineers, solar
technology manufacturers / retailers etc, local authorities / municipalities, central
- EU (SMAP program) MED-ENEC: Promoting Energy Efficiency in the
Construction Sector project is addressed to the MEDA countries Algeria, Egypt,
Israel, Jordan, Lebanon, Morocco, Palestinian Territories, Syria, Tunisia and Turkey.
Web address: www.med-enec.com
- French GEF framework project PEEC: Energy Efficiency in building in Lebanon.
This bilateral project goes under the French GEF framework and was financed (1
million euro) by the FFEM (fonds Francais pour l’Environment Mondial). The
objective of the project was to demonstrate the technical and economic feasibility of
energy improvements in apartment buildings. Through the results of this
demonstration, through awareness rising among Lebanese leaders and through
capacity building, the project launched a policy for energy efficiency in housing.
- EU (SYNERGY program) project Euro-Mediterranean Energy Policy Training Network project. The project proposes the establishment of a mechanism in the form of a Mediterranean Energy Policy Training Network, extending over all Mediterranean Partners, providing specialized services in a decentralized yet coordinated manner, enhancing the implementation of the Action Plan of the Euro-Mediterranean Energy Forum 1998-2002. The ultimate success of the Network was judged upon the effectiveness of the dissemination of the European energy policy know-how to the Mediterranean Partners as well as upon the adoption by them of common International practices in the field of energy projects financing. http://www.ec-ramses.net
- EU (SYNERGY program) project with the National Technical University of Athens –
EPU Business Opportunities for CDM Project Development in the
Mediterranean. The project aims at the implementation of the Kyoto Protocol,
mainly in Capacity Building and Development of common understanding of the Kyoto
Mechanisms, Energy Efficiency, Development of Mechanisms for Funding
Investments in Clean Technologies and Promotion of renewable Sources of Energy.
- EU (SYNERGY program) project with the MEDENER network CDM-ANVIMAR:
Analysis of Viability of the Clean Development Mechanism in the Mediterranean
Area. Web address: www.cdm.anvimar.info
- EU (MEDA program) regional project with the MEDENER network ATSEMB: Application of Thermal Solar Energy in the Mediterranean Basin. Web address: www.solarmed.net
- EU (synergy program) regional project with IDAE (Spain) How to Develop Energy Services Companies (ESCOs) in the Mediterranean Countries.
- EU (synergy program) regional project with IDAE (Spain) Energy and Urban Environment in the Mediterranean Countries.
- EU (INCO program) project: SUSTENMED: Dissemination of Sustainable Energy Technologies in the Mediterranean Basin.
- EU (DG17 program) project Energy Policy Dialogue: bilateral project between the
European commission and the Lebanese government. ALMEE was subcontracted
by Hagler Bailly consulting for specific studies.
- Prepared and implemented the “Liban precieux - planete precieuse” project by lecturing on the rational use of energy and renewable energies (ADEME/ALMEE project) (1997).
- Prepared a developed study on the pollution of Waste Water in the Industrial region of Zouk Mosbeh (15 km north of Beirut).
- Participated in the preparation of a study related to the « pollution of water in al-Awali
- Participated in the preparation of a study related to the Potentials of Hydroelectricity in the Litany River ».
- Worked on a MEDA regional project with the consortium DECON (Germany), BCEOM (France), CEETA (Portugal) and ENERCO (Italy) Reform of the Legal and Institutional Energy Sector in Lebanon.
- Participated on a national environmental impact assessment project study on the
Pollution Sources of the Industrial Zone of Zouk Mosbeh city: Air, Water and
ALMEE is involved as well in the ozone depleting issues since 1992:
- Principal coordinator in the ministry of environment and member of the national committee working on the country program on the ozone depleting substances for phasing out cfcs.
- Prepared and implemented a bilateral cooperation project with AFD-France concerning the reconversion of the commercial refrigerators manufacturers in Lebanon to non cfcs users.
- Prepared and implemented a bilateral cooperation project with AFD-France concerning the installation of a network for recovery and recycling of cfcs, including training of technicians to the techniques of recovery and recycling of cfcs.
- Prepared and implemented a bilateral cooperation project with GTZ-Germany titled: training in improved operations, service and maintenance for refrigeration decision makers and technicians working with hydrocarbons as a substitute to CFCs.
- Prepared and implemented a bilateral project with GTZ-Germany on Customs Officers Training project for Lebanon on Ozone Depleting Substances” (October 2000).